Why Expression Through The Arts Is Important To Me - Written for the T.R.I.I.P Virtual Hub

Introduction

The student voice representatives decided to introduce this topic as it is the fundamental ingredient that merges us all together. None of us have met each other in person before, but we are united by the arts - as arts practitioners. 

Upbringing, Environment and Privilege

I came into the world of dance through my upbringing, environment, and privilege. My family is very musical. My very own family curates a classical orchestra, and play together, every year! We can all play at least one instrument, sing before we can talk and enjoy the simple pleasures of music. In terms of my home environment, my mother vocationally trained at the age of 18 in London, and performed professionally for a decade before having my brothers and me. Fortunately, I attended ballet lessons at my local ballet school as a result of my parents being AWARE that the arts industry exists. I suppose it all started from there. It sounds very generic and stereotypical, a little girl falling in love with ballet. But looking back, it was so much more than that. It was the music, the emotion, the athletic challenges, the sense of togetherness. Even at four years of age. 

My first memories of expressing through the arts were...

Dancing to Cats the Musical from my living room on the VCR, with so much glee, energy and belief that I was truly a cat. 
I also remember performing shows for my family at a friends house with costume, lighting and all - singing pop tunes from the noughties such as Britney Spears, Girls Aloud, The Sugarbabes. 
Writing songs about love, which I had not even experienced other than the love of my family, and use the little chords I knew on the piano to create music. 
I would also take my violin with me as hand luggage, glimpse a smile at the airport so my parents didn't have to pay extra to take it on board. I would merrily play all the basic classical compositions I knew to my family in Norway. 


Reflecting upon this, I believe expressing through the arts is important to me as it releases emotions that cannot be expressed through everyday language. Even those very early memories of old performances, belly dancing with my bestie. Those moments gave us both utter exhilaration and allowed us to extrovert ourselves through the arts, as well as causing smiles all around to our little 'audience'. 

Some artists may indulge in the spotlight, live for those claps. Appreciation is, of course, well, appreciated! The outer gratification of your performance, receiving praise or applause is uplifting and reasurres our chosen path. But to have an artistic medium as your profession, passion and identity, the reasons must be rooted deeper. 

For me, expressing through dance and music is a way of chanelling energy, almost achieving a meditative state where my sole being is living for the present moment. It can take me to a higher place, where I can feel the atmosphere around me shift. A vibe, a buzz, a thrill. A JOY. 

Having performed classical ballet repertoire, it can get easy lose your way within the character you are playing. To feel slightly silly, meaningless, or disassociated with your role. I have had discussions with actors, listened to podcasts and interviews, where they enjoy having that 'mask' on and becoming another person. Pretending to be a village girl, a dead corpse bride, red riding hood, a baby swan... are all forms of expression. You are apart of the storyline that the audience are watching. What I find to be powerful is adding my own personality to the role, however big or small that might be. Expressing myself through whatever I am portraying is really important in finding purpose, especially in the style of classical ballet. 

Although I never pursued violin professionally, I began learning how to play the same time as dance. There have been as many moments where my emotions have carried through my violin playing, as with dancing. Yes I have danced where I have felt in the moment, passionate, raw and alive. But I feel my connection to music seems to stem far deeper. The reason I wanted to dance was my love of music, therefore music is the origin of my artistic expression. I guess also because I am not a professional musician, I feel less stress and pressure with expressing through the violin. When my grandfather passed away, an organist who dedicated his life to classical music, the only way to channel my feelings was through playing my violin at the funeral. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. But it was such a powerful and important moment, one I shall never forget. I played Bach's Air on the G String for two violins, and performed a duet with my brother. 

Expressing through the arts is important to me as it is my origin. My identity. My home. 



Please feel free to write a blog post as to why expressing through the arts is important to you! Let us continue these discussions.

Comments

Popular Posts