'Transitioning into the Unknown' - Written for the T.R.I.I.P Virtual Hub

What next? 


I ask myself this most days. Now that my intake (September 2019) have unofficially graduated from our BA Honours degree course, where we submitted all of our work nearly a month ago, the question ponders as to what we do with ourselves; now that the workload of studying has diminished into thin air. Many students all over the world may be feeling lost post-graduation, especially due to the unprecedented job climate which has been made even more tricky to navigate through during these pandemic times. 

Studying professional practice allowed me to discover the value of my practice and its newfound potential for growth. As I was preparing my final oral presentation, I really wanted to hone into how I will use my research project to carry myself into the future. What transferable skills from the course can guide me into this transition period? The unknown is a concept that we have had to emerge ourselves into, however uncomfortable that may feel. It seems as though this course was made for this pandemic! Every skill that is taught in BA PP: self-reflection, learning cycles, community and connectivity, is more relevant and prevalent now than ever. 

I am guilty of over-thinking. 
I am guilty of being a 'worrier'. 
I am guilty of trying to run before I can walk. 
I am guilty of trying to take control over things I have no control over. 

Putting knowledge into practice is much harder than I had anticipated. I have to remind myself of the coping mechanisms of resilience and motivation, that I had actually studied as my final dissertation. Since finishing the course, I have unintentionally continued the line of research. I am reading a book called 'Ikigai'. I highly recommend this book, which is mainly based on the Japanese lifestyle and culture, resulting in greater life expectancy results. The book explores mindfulness, nutrition, community building, exercise regimes, mental attitudes to life, how to find purpose, how to focus on the present moment, and so much more. 
Ikigai: The Japanese secret to a long and happy life: Amazon.co.uk: Héctor  García, Francesc Miralles: 9781786330895: Books

Now, I want to return to the important question: WHAT NEXT? 


As recent months have proven, things do not always go to plan. You may linger your thoughts into the past, or reserve all energy for possible futuristic goals, but the only real time frame we have control over is the present. It may sound simple, but I believe the way in which we can transition into the unknown is by living in the present. Of course one must sometimes think about the future, for scenarios such as: sending a job application out before the deadline in a weeks time, occasional meal planning, putting zoom times into your calendar in advance etc... 

Worrying about a bridge we have not crossed yet is quite futile. Whenever I panic, my partner always says "We will cross that bridge when we come to it". This literally occurred the other day, when I applied for several dance companies in the USA. 

"What if I move there?" "When would I see you?" "Won't I miss my family?" 

1. I had not even received a response from the company yet, as to whether my video has even been accepted for the preliminary zoom audition
2. The chances of actually getting a contract is slim, due to the amount of applicants/competition and the tedious nature of visa applications
3. I am not even sure if I would want to move across the pond! 

My point is this, we can be aware of the unknown, perhaps even accept its presence. For me, this is keeping in balletic shape on the off chance that auditions in the future do happen, maintaining a proactive nature. But if we get caught up in the middle of the unknown, like standing in the centre of a tornado, we will just be swept away. 

Self-Acceptance 


Self-acceptance is quite a 'woke' saying these days. It has been thrown around everywhere, replacing the term 'self-love'. How I interpret self-acceptance, is challenging myself to improve, such as when I completed a 28-day challenge of weighted strength training with @aliceliveing via the social media platform - Instagram. But if I feel fatigued one day or lacking in sleep, to be able to say to myself - "I will give 100% of what I have got today", which is not the same as 100%. 

FOMO

A great perk to Covid is that FOMO (fear of missing out) has sort of vanished. Admittedly, knowing that so many dancers are feeling as I am feeling brings me comfort. It's ok if I do not have a plan for 2021 because many others do not either. That does not mean I will sit on the sofa and wait for someone else to click their fingers and make my life 'happen'. But this pandemic is something that we have all had to adapt to. My research around resilience heavily involved the idea of adaptability.  I believe this is key to transitioning into the unknown. 


Summary 

The arts industry can be a maze to get lost in, where sometimes the pathway seems clear and logical and other times you feel as if you have no idea where you are going. Training to get accepted into a vocational school, receiving your diploma, perhaps even gaining your first professional contract due to all of the hard work you put in, studying a professional practice course part-time whilst working. That part of my life as a practitioner was all clear and logical. 

When we have no idea where we are going, or think we have no idea where we are going, we must embrace the present moment. 

Make a daily/weekly to-do list AND a goal list. There is a huge difference between the two. For example:

- Send a showreel to blank = GOAL LIST
- Email blank to hire a studio to film a solo = TO DO LIST 

I discovered this strategy during a Studio Wayne McGregor psychology zoom session that I was lucky enough to attend. It sounds simple, but it is a great way of not getting carried away or overwhelmed. 

I suggest making a dream/vision board. These are for long term goals, aspirations and ideas. 



Please comment any suggestions, feelings, or images of your dream board. My dream board is on my GOAL list, so eventually, it will happen! 

Comments

Popular Posts