LET Tutorial

I attended an Arts & Creative Industries online one-to-one tutorial with the learning enhancement team (LET) at Middlesex University. The spaces get booked up pretty quickly, and you are not allowed to attend more than one session a week, but there is a one-to-one phone call option available too. I chose to book this session to help enhance my academic writing skills. 

In a previous skype discussion with one of the supervisors of my course, Helen, she clarified to not be afraid of using first-person pronouns if appropriate. When you are writing about yourself, it makes sense to acknowledge yourself. 


Key points:


  • Do not start every sentence with I. Maximum two sentences in a paragraph can begin with I

  • For me, use shorter sentences. One idea per sentence

  • Use linking words to make the sentence flow

  • Do not make the reader have to think twice

  • Careful of word order, re-format sentences so they do not begin with I 

  • 1 paragraph = 1 theme. Especially for the literature review. Organise the literary theory in chronological order. Remember time frame and context. For example, from 2010 to 2020. 


HOW TO BOOK:


Log in to your uni hub account.

Click on 'My Study' on the left-hand side

Scroll down to 'Study Skills' and click on: The Learning Enhancement Team is here to help

On the left-hand side, click on: Academic writing and language support 

Scroll down and click on: Arts and Creative Industries Faculty 

Then book a slot! 


Below is a screenshot step-by-step guide. 







Need any technical IT help this is also the number:

020 8411 6060 


Comments

  1. Hi Serina,
    Thank you for this post- this is some great information and I will try and book onto one!
    Alys :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts