Matthew Bourne's Romeo + Juliet

Sir Matthew Bourne OBE choreographed this masterpiece in 2019. I was fortunate enough to watch this performance for free on Sky Arts during UK lockdown. How marvellous it is that we can watch a west end show from the comfort of our homes, bringing us a spark of joy during this difficult time. As soon as I finished watching it, I knew I had to blog about it to tell everyone else about this incredible production. I think I enjoyed it more than my mum did. For those of you that do not know, Matthew Bourne's company is called New Adventures. 

Most of you know will know Shakespeare's story of Romeo and Juliet as a play at The Globe in London, or a ballet performed by English National Ballet. Yet, Bourne has completely broke convention by reinventing this classic storyline into something very different.

The whole show is set in the Verona Institute, where I interpreted this to be a psychiatric hospital for teenagers and children. Immediately, I was captivated by the powerful contemporary movements that were in perfect harmony with the original score by Prokofiev. What continues to amaze me about Bourne is that he always uses the original music and composer for all of his creations. Whether it is Tchaikovsky for The Nutcracker or Swan Lake, he manages to invert our pre-existing knowledge of what the steps usually are to certain pieces of music with his own, but it still entirely fits with the melodies. It is truly a wonderful and unique skill as nowadays, many choreographers use modern music, soundscapes or instrumental patterns.

I do not want to give too much away, as I hope that this blog post inspires you to watch this production but essentially, Tybalt is actually the guard of the institute and abuses Juliet (interpret that as you wish). Romeo is a latecomer to the institute, and they fall in love at a disco in the main hall. The on-site reverend sympathises with their young love, breaks the rules, allowing them to see each other from the separating gender corridors. Same as Shakespeare's original plot, they do both die at the end, but not from a poison mix up... The set remains the same the whole way through, and the use of props like desks and beds helps to retain its visual freshness. All the dancers was great at acting, where I felt compelled and amongst their emotions throughout. All of the 'patients' wear white costume throughout, and there is a leading gay couple in the institute acting as Mercutio and Benvolio who expressed so much charisma and emotion all the way through. Of course, Cordelia Braithwaite (Juliet) and Paris Fitzpatrick (Romeo) stole the show. I believed in their love and their youth. I was left on the cusp of tears pretty much the whole way through watching it in my living room.

That is all I will say about Romeo + Juliet performed by New Adventures. Hope everyone is keeping their spirits up in this whirlwind that is going on around the world.

Comments

  1. Hi Serina, I managed to record it and watched it back when I had time. He is a truly amazing choreographer and innovative to say the least. The showing must have captivated the wider community including people who haven't yet experienced Bourne's work or theatre in general. I hope it inspires people to invest in the future

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts