To Trust Oneself

The deep end. 

We may have felt like we have been thrown into the deep end, being expected to self-draft our essays and documents. I was worried that nothing was meeting expectations, and was in need of reassurance and further guidance. To some extent, that is still true. We do need support from our supervisors, otherwise it is a complete self-study degree course! When the initial draft deadline submissions were being carried out, I was still in the full swing of a full-time job rehearsing, travelling and performing. I panicked and told Adesola there was no way I could hand in all the documents in time. She calmed me down, saying I just needed to hand in the MORE form and complete whatever I could in the space of time I had. So, I knuckled down on that tedious online form and started to write my proposal alongside it. 

However, I have come to the realisation that we are our own worst critique. That energy we can use to better ourselves in a positive light. Leave a mediocre written paragraph for a day, come back to it acting as an outsider or an external examiner, and you will find the perfect words to complete it. Everyday, for about a week, I have been focusing on a different piece of work and thinking:

- does this make sense?
- do I really need that word in?
- could I rephrase that citation
- does this structure flow and read appealingly? 

I have also read the Module and Programme Learning Outcomes, to ensure I am meeting expectations and aims. 

READ THE QUESTION, ANSWER THE QUESTION. My father's professor taught him that simple sentence, and sometimes it really does the job.

The end is nigh. 

So, I have a week until Module 2 is complete! I feel utter relieved, and want to make sure I am proud of every document submission. As Adesola said to me, "OWN IT". This is your work, so you should be pleased with it. Trust your own corrections. 

Of course we can contact our supervisors with questions. Check the office hours on UniHub for clarification. 

See you all on the other side!!! 



Comments

Popular Posts