Skype Discussion - Module 2 Focus: 03.04.20

Hi Everyone

I just thought I would recap what we discussed in this Skype call with Adesola, Helen and various other module 2 students. This is for those who couldn't attend and for my own benefit to really absorb the information.

So the main topics we students wanted to cover was the critical reflection essay and analysis of our proposal. But our discussion skewed, and we ended up conversing about data. By data, I mean we spoke about audio recording, how to go about semi-structured interviews etc...

In terms of analysis, it is important to relate your proposal inquiry and data collection to your practice. To who you are as an artist. Another key thing to remember is that:

The absence of data is still data. 


For the critical reflection essay, which I have not yet started, what really helped me is thinking of going back to my areas of learning. How my learning journey has progressed from module 1 through the planning stage of module 3 in module 2. Has my areas of learning changed? Am I studying in a different way? If so, why? Am I more efficient in my research skills? Has the whole planning process of my inquiry been what I had expected? Or not? What skills have I developed and applied during Covid-19, to better myself as an artist?

Another interesting idea that was mentioned was to keep a self-reflective journal during your data collection process. To just jot down your feelings before and after an interview, for example. I think it is seems like a non time-consuming, efficient and good way to keep track of yourself. Of how the process of data collection makes you feel. 

A quick question that was answered was: What is the historical context of the literature review? 
That is the publishing date, and acknowledgment of if you have used a source of information that is its 2nd or 3rd edition. Why have you not chosen the original? If the remake of that source is recent, why has it been re-published? A book written in 2010 may be very different to one written in 1968. Or perhaps they are very similar, showing that that particular theme has not changed very much over time. 

Happy Easter Break! Let's keep posting, writing, drafting and keep in touch on BAPP Community on Facebook. 

Comments

Popular Posts