COVID 19

The Coronavirus is not a topic that is currently related to my inquiry proposal that is currently in the process of planning, but I feel is a current topic that needs to be addressed in these uncertain times. Although, I am a distant learner, and my education will not be affected by Covid 19, my empathy goes out to those in their GCSE's, A-Levels, on campus university students and all other people who are trying to continue to pursue their learning within their environment.

In the midst of this social panic, impulse purchases of loo roll, water bottles and probably enough pasta in your cupboard to feed your whole street, I have been told this evening that the UK government strongly advised theatres to close temporarily. After the government discussed with those in charge of running the UK's theatre, theatre owners and the Arts board, it was decided for my performance at the Royal Theatre Windsor of The Sleeping Beauty to be cancelled tonight. 1hr before the show, after settling into our dressing rooms for the week in this theatre, after our daily ballet warm-up class, even after cramming in rehearsals for Swan Lake prior to our evening performance (the premiere being next week in Bournemouth) all of our hearts sunk. The thoughts that were going through my head as I heard the news were:

I cannot believe the time has come around so soon
All of those rehearsals, stress and effort for only completing 3 shows
How will I manage financially?
How will I stay in shape, with classes around London being cancelled?
Will the arts industry ever be able to recover from their great financial loss?
Will my company reschedule their tour for the summer when, hopefully, a vaccine will be available?
At least I will have time to complete module 2 efficiently and better than I would have if I had ongoing performances! 
At least it is comforting to know that all dancers around the globe are in the same boat.

I signed the petition for the self-employed to be entitled to some sick pay, so it will interesting to see what comes of that. Not just freelance dances will be affected, but workers such as builders, orchestral musicians, pub owners, teaching assistants from agencies, carers, home cleaners, the list goes on...

For now, I have to take each day at a time. I am grateful for my current state of health, and that my friends and family are safe for now. I never realised how much I was enjoying my life, my dancing, my shows, my costumes, the atmosphere, the adrenaline, endorphins, having my friends around me until it was taken away. 

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. 

I hope that the World will communicate, take the necessary precautions and actions to stop the spread of the virus and care for those most vulnerable in our society. The mental effect of self-isolation is already on BBC news, so I will closely follow those news reports concerning this.

Please comment any thoughts, replies, worries, concerns, ideas. Sharing is caring!

Comments

  1. agreed serina! it was all so last minute which i believe is why people feel like they have unfinished business, as a tour or show has not come to an organised end point it has just been cut short. With the addition of no end point in sight it is hard to work towards something as you don't know when that something will be! My viewpoint is to just take it one day at a time, set achievable goals and don't feel guilty for spending a bit too much time watching netflix!
    Anushka x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts