Module 1 Portfolio Feedback Response

We all have received feedback from our first module, and Adesola made a good point which I would like to discuss. My areas of learning were: injury prevention & maintenance, nutrition and mental health. The implementation of ethical consideration develops more in module two. I am going to look back on my first module with the tools that are introduced in module two.

Adesola mentioned if there were points in my self-reflective essay where someone not familiar with the culture of ballet might wonder if activity within it is more harmful than artistic.

So, is ballet activity more harmful than artistic? 

My everyday ballet activity is participating in a daily ballet class, warming up the body and muscles prior to class, rehearsals and performing in theatres across the country. I roll out my gluteus, calf, shin, under the feet, quad, back, psoas muscles regularly for maintenance. Whole body workouts, plank position holds, abdominal exercises, resistant-band exercises, stretching, runs in my local park and the rare yoga class. Occasionally, I dance through mild 'twingy' pains that tend to quickly disappear. When I am not dancing, I may be going over choreography in my mind to ensure its clarity and memory.

In writing this, I have realised that a lot of my time goes towards my ballet activity, my practice. The purpose of the module one reflective essay was to identify what your practice was, challenging what you thought your practice was. I do believe that ballet is a well-established and respected artistic industry that has the ability to make a step/movement that is so difficult look so easy. It is true, ballet activity can be harmful ie forming a stress fracture, pulling a muscle, having a recurring weak ankle. But to argue ballet activity being MORE harmful than artistic? No. Like any athleticism, hard work and dedication must take place. I listened to an inspiring podcast starring Dame Jessica Ennis-Hill which I will attach the link below. Her story does correlate to the struggles that ballet dancers also have. All the setbacks and sacrifices do not overwrite the pride and passion ballet dancers, and I am sure athletes, have for their profession. Ballet in itself is not harmful, as it is an art form that is expressed in live theatre for audiences all over the World, but the work that goes on 'behind the scenes' can be interpreted by an outsider as harmful. But when that outsider realises why that dancer commits to their ballet activity, then the outsider will understand and see the artistic beauty of ballet.

https://give-me-strength-with-alice-liveing.simplecast.com/episodes/03c08309-03c08309

Comments

Popular Posts