Finding a Focus

These are my first steps towards developing my inquiry. I need to find a focus for my inquiry topic. The aim is not to simply find a solution or an answer to my question. The second module is all about reflecting on my experience of planning my inquiry, what I have learnt from the process and how it has affected my outlook within my profession and me personally. I have understood that I will commence the planning of my inquiry as an insider researcher. I am an insider researcher because I will be using hands-on experience as knowledge, and the physical act of my everyday practice also shapes meaning. On a day-to-day basis, I will be planning my inquiry that is situated within my work space. Similarly to ethnographers, I will be:

"participating, overtly or covertly, in people's daily lives for an extended period of time, watching what happens, listening to what is said..." (Hammersley and Atkinson, 2007, p3).


Areas in my practice that I am intrigued to explore is broadly the mental aspect of ballet. I find that it is not widely spoken enough of, but is as important as physical side to this creative art. As I embark on this inquiry journey, I am aware of the ethical considerations that will need to take place, as it will concern asking personal questions to those in my field. It may make professional associates, friends and even family uncomfortable. I will need to research further into ethical procedures and how to go about my research around this huge topic to narrow down exactly what it is I want to discover.

The cyclical approach to thinking is a useful method of designing an inquiry. It is explained in the module two handbook below as:

1) Finding a focus
2) Becoming familiar with what is already out there
3) Exploring different perspectives
4) Identifying how to approach the world around
5) Know exactly what you are planning to do and why you are doing it
6) Looking for meaning

I want to keep referring to this structural cycle, so my research does not travel off on a tangent, but retains relevancy. Using what I discovered about myself in module one, I will continue this academic journey by using what I know, discover what I don't know, realise what I did not know I knew around my chosen topic. I will spend the next couple of days brainstorming around the mental health of ballet dancers, read relevant literature and discover the information that is already out there.

Please comment if you are interested in a similar inquiry theme.



References: 

Hammersley, M. and Atkinson, P. (2007) Ethnography: principles in practice. 3rd ed.  London: Routledge.




Comments

Popular Posts