Lens 1 & Web 2.0

I have been the tortoise, out of the hare, in reading the module handbook. After an initial quick scan of the module handbook in the first week, I am currently reading through the whole handbook slowly but surely. I prefer being thorough, highlighting and annotating as I go. The purpose of module 1 is to expand your notion of professional practice and practice-based learning and inquiry. This means to use the lenses provided and explained within the handbook to develop your own critical thinking skills and eventually understand what your professional practice is. This will, in turn, contribute to your development as a professional. What I am looking forward to is allowing myself to work with unfamiliar ideas, until the jigsaw pieces fit together and begin to make sense.

The first lens is: communication of ideas, including Web 2.0

What is Web 2.0? Those were my thoughts precisely. To give a quick summary, Web 2.0 is a form of two way communication within web-based communities. It enables the reader and creator to interact, and even the reader to become the creator. Web 2.0 can be accessed worldwide, the users have most of the control over their data, it is user-friendly quick and easy, allows informal connections to occur online. When the users add content, the more users see it and add to it. Therefore, the site expands, improves and social networking becomes even better.


The BAPP learning community uses blogging to interact and share knowledge. Blogs in itself have transformed text from being published to participatory. The key words that re-appear within lens 1 are: participation, connectivity, accessibility, democratisation, interaction and collaboration. 

One of the competencies explored by O'Reilly (an early advocate of Web 2.0) is architectures of participation - access. Without time, money, relevant skills and infrastructure, can people participate in Web 2.0? I am lucky enough to have a phone and a laptop to connect to the internet world, but not everyone is as fortunate in my field of practice. Despite finding social media very time consuming, it is important for my practice. My inspirations and role models frequently share their posts (data) on Instagram which fuels me to better myself as a dancer. Many organisations share their auditions information on their website and social media accounts. If I didn't have access to these platforms, I wouldn't be where I am today. Applying for vocational dance schools in the UK requires an online application on the internet. Auditioning for dance companies requires discovering the advertisement in the first instance, sending an email with a CV, photos and sometimes videos. Access to the internet is needed for my field of practice, but I am not sure whether Web 2.0 is, as the requirements stated are one-way communications. For example, the website for the Birmingham Royal Ballet serves no opportunity to like comment or share and is simply a network that provides information.
https://www.brb.org.uk/

How has my professional field engaged with Web 2.0?

Being a millennial, I enjoy sharing parts of my life on social networking platforms. Almost daily, I share snippets of my practice to those that have access to my online profile. This could be a photo of the stage I danced on that day or a short video of me dancing in a studio. Looking at the bigger picture by seeing my practice as a whole, the field engages with Web 2.0 fairly similarly. Most ballet companies have facebook, twitter and instagram pages, where anyone worldwide can communicate and interact. This enables people to view content who would otherwise be unable. The Royal Ballet are based in London, and rarely tour globally and only perform in the UK on their stage - the Royal Opera House. However, in recent years they have broadcasted the performances in cinemas across the UK. They film a performance from the ROH live and channel it across the country, making ballet a far more accessible art form. This is an incredible asset to our art, because what was a previously niche field is now fully accessible and allows anyone to participate in the joy of ballet.

I would like to continue to explore the beauty and destruction of Web 2.0, by tying in privacy issues, ethical considerations and how it affects me personally. Thank you for reading and feel free to comment your reflective thoughts.


Comments

  1. Hi Serina, a really great blog. I specifically liked your viewpoint on 'access', a perspective I hadn't thoroughly considered before. I will be soon blogging about personas online through the web and web 2.0, look out for it in the next few days or so :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am check out your blog post for sure. Thank you for contributing to our Web 2.0 community!

      Delete
  2. I think idea of access is a very interesting point, and raises some ethical questions. As you say in the post if you hadn’t easy access to the internet and Web 2.0 you would have found it harder to get “where you are today”, is this fair and giving equal opportunities? Also I have some experience with typically older patrons of Dance that much prefer to communicate and interact through post, as their IT literacy is not a given. Is there still space for this in todays environment? I want to look into this further. Great Post Serina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Serina, I am just starting module 1 this term and loved reading this insightful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Serina,

    I loved your conclusion that Web 2.0 is both "beauty and destruction'. As a Module 1 student this blog was very insightful and I am looking forward to reading more of your blogs to help me along the way of this course.

    Ellie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie, hope you are enjoying module 1 so far.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts